We purchased our home with the knowledge that at least one of us was a computer nerd; and at least one of us might soon work from home. We hated the crowded guest bedroom/office we have now - so a major part of buying a home was to have an office. Below is the choice bedroom that was marked for rebirth; a couple year old picture actually.
|The Office - Before Purchase|
From here; we purchased the home. The plan was to paint the walls and trim; and to go all out with a nice Bamboo floor and glass desks. Very modern. So we closed on the house.. this apparently counts as broom swept / clean....
So, I ripped up the carpet and padding. Low and behold was a great surprise! My father was helping out at the house that day; if not, I would have had a full on nervous breakdown. Check the pictures of the fire damage; they speak for themselves. Why was this deemed 'OK'?
After I recovered from my shock and took some time to plan; I decided we would be fine replacing some boards and putting a couple boxes of 'stud busters' (screws) in. So; here are some 'after' shots of the initial floor work. You can see Nikki had already been in and painted some of the trim. At this point; my dad and I were in disagreement about removing the trim to put in the hard wood. I would eventually remove the trim.
|After Floor Work, After Trim Paint|
With the floor properly prepped (Thanks for all the advice and compliments dad!); I laid some Bamboo and painted the test can on the wall. We were happy with the preview.
Of course; there are always problems at a Frick house. At this point; it would be weeks before I could work again. The HVAC work was extensive (another post) and drawn out.
(MISSING PICTURES!!!) There should be a section here showing the plywood I installed. I put down 1/4 plywood through the room (gapped properly, etc) because I just wasn't happy with the boards. Somehow I forgot pictures of the grueling weekend. All work has been harder because cuts take place in the garage or basement. The room was covered in six sheets of 4'X8' plywood; I had to carry five sheets up the stairs; then 6 cuts to fill the gaps. I would have to wait another week to put in the floor; and now I understood I would need help.
With my dad on declared vacation from helping; (He was like a ninja, showing up and painting a room!) I would get the help of my best friend Scott and some rented tools. Time to install the floor! The rest of the pictures are from the day of install. Oh; look, the ninja was here; the walls are Robin's Egg Blue!
|I missed taking a pic of just the felt. It is #15 Felt on the floor (Roofing Paper)|
|9 P.M Saturday. Work Stops. I would have to do the rest myself. Scott was great and helped me get the floor this far.|
On Sunday; I spent the day grueling over the last boards; which had to be hand nailed. I stopped at 7pm; with the doorway figured out; but not cut. Check out the finished floor.
I used a small piece to plan the doorway. I have figured out; but have to engineer a way to make the special cut needed on the moulding. In this picture; you can see my mistake of not going under the door frame. I will fill in the gaps and color them to match.